In early 1917, a group of fox hunting enthusiasts made an offer to purchase 6. 7 acres of land at the corner of Bloomfield Center (Long Lake) and Ball line (Kensington) Roads. They proposed a new club, one that would be "open" to all for an initiation fee and yearly dues. They filed Articles of lncorporation for the new club, the purpose of which was "To promote Equestrian sports, the development and protection of the territory for shooting, hunting, and cross-country riding, and to provide the means for the accomplishment of the aforesaid purposes."

Twenty-nine men were named directors of the new club, and on March 30, 1917, they held their first meeting, electing E.P. Hammond President, George Hendrie Vice-President, and Henry Chaney Secretary /Treasurer. Many of notable residents of Bloomfield Hills were members, and they brought a pack the of hounds to BOH for the purposes of holding drag hunts (hunts where a trail scent is spread and tracked rather than hunting live animals) as they had done of in Grosse Pointe. By 1919, they discovered that the land was well suited for the live hunt, and that tradition continued until 1966, when regular hunting was discontinued. In 1920, the Hunt was formally recognized by the Masters Foxhounds Association and was assigned the colors of plum and buff. In of 1922, Elliot (Pecks) Nichols was elected to be the first Master of Hounds.

The 1920s proved to be a time of growth for BOH, and significant additions were made to the original 1800s farmhouse serving as the clubhouse. In 1925, with membership up to 125 families, a new kitchen and Grille Room were added. In 1929, the indoor riding ring was constructed, along with the Ring Room, Founder's Room, and President's Room. As the human membership grew, so did the equine membership, and two additional aisles of stalls were added to the barn to provide stabling.

Interestingly, the indoor ring was not used solely for equestrian activities. In the 1920s, badminton was becoming an increasingly popular sport, and the indoor riding arena proved to be a location for year-round badminton as well as riding. The interest in badminton led the way for BOH to expand its offerings past equestrian activities and the hunt, and in the 1950s, with membership reaching more than 200 families, the club's focus was on growing as a family club. Skeet shooting became popular at the club starting in 1947. In 1955, the dining room was expanded, and a swimming pool and two tennis courts were added, providing many more sporting and social options for members. Tennis continues to be a major aspect of life at BOH, with paddle tennis courts and a warming house constructed in 1971, the indoor tennis facility completed in 1973, and a new outdoor tennis facility dedicated in 1992.

Throughout all the changes and developments at BOH, equestrian life remains the heart and soul of the club. Beginning in 1934, BOH was the host for the Detroit and Motor City Horse Shows, bringing in competitors and spectators from all over the world. The horse shows continued annually until 2000. When Detroit bid to hold the Olympics during the 1960s, BOH was the proposed site for the equestrian competition. Polo was also a part of equestrian life, with the World Cup Polo match coming to the club in 1990.

The original farmhouse that served as the clubhouse was torn down in 1996, leaving the Ring Room (with the President's and Founder's Rooms above) and the indoor riding arena to anchor the new clubhouse built around them.


Clubhouse in 1917, which was housed in the former Hagerman Farmhouse.

Bloomfield Open Hunt Stables in 1917